Wuthering Heights , A Romance ?!!
The other day , i reread a book i had for 2 years. The book is ”wuthering height”. For you who didnt read the book yet , here’s a small list to summarize the plot for you.
- It is written by Emily Bronte and published in the 1847 ( or as Wikipedia say so )
- Considered a classic in the English literature
- It has been a huge success since it came out , been used to perform plays , radio , TV series , operas and even role-playing games. ( Wikipedia is the source of that too)
- The plot is a complicated story of twisted emotions. It is categorized as a romance.
- The story is about an adopted heath which is mistreated really bad in his foster parents house by the son of his benefactor , despite that the master of the house loved him. While he lived with them , he fell in love with the daughter Catherine. Apparently Catherine shared the same feeling with him and both spent their time always together. All the while her brother ( Hindley) gets jealous as he is robbed of the affection of his own father. Then the father dies and leave Heath in the mercy of Hindley , who has married.
- While one day Catherine and Heathcliff are spying on their neighbors , they get caught. Heath is considered as a servant because of his gypsy appearance while Catherine is taken in. Weeks after that , Catherine return looking and acting different and lady-like. Later Catherine get a proposal from her neighbors’ son Edgar. She admits that she love Heath yet she marries Edgar.
- Heath travels then come back 6 months later a different man , seeking revenge from Catherine’s brother and husband , which he gets in a rather violent way.
- All this story is narrated by the house keeper to a Mr Lockwood who visited the manor.
Heath marries the sister of Catherine’s husband , just to have revenge while clearly Catherine married by her own free will. She preferred Edgar because of social status and abandoned her love for Heath. In my own standard , that is not what romance and love entails.
Personally , i can get it past my head that this novel is considered as one of the best romances. The amount of hatred and violence in the story has nothing to do with romance. The first time i read the book , i was intrigued by the events and the plot. I declared that it is indeed the best love story and sighed over their start-crossed fate for weeks and weeks. But now that i have reread it , i disagree with myself.
I recommend the book as a great read for you who didn’t stumble on it yet.
Is it just me against considering it as a classical romance and compared to Juliet and her Romeo or it is really a romance inside the twisted story ??
Was it worth it ?!